Natural resources and biodiversity
Commitment to the environment is one of the pillars of eni’s sustainability strategy and is rooted in the private sector contribution to the global conference in Rio in 1992. Over 20 years later, eni continues to demonstrate its commitment to the environment through the continuous improvement of its results, based on an integrated Health, Safety and Environment management system and the work of around 5,000 people belonging to this professional family.
In 2015 eni’s target is to ensure that all parts of the company subject to any significant HSE risk are certified.
The oil and gas industry faces many challenges with regard to emerging environmental issues. eni is committed to identifying and implementing operating technology and working practices that can minimize the impact on the environment, from the earliest stages of the operating cycle, even in particularly sensitive contexts.
This goal is supported by an effective integrated Health, Safety and the Environment management system. In 2015 eni’s target is to ensure that all parts of the company subject to any significant HSE risk are certified in accordance with the best international standards (ISO 14001 and OHSAS 18001).
eni’s efforts in the coming years will be focused on the following aspects:
- the reduction of carbon intensity in all sectors of its operations and the promotion of energy efficiency;
- the identification and adoption of guidelines and operational practices integrated with activities to ensure the reduction of the environmental footprint and the conservation of natural resources, particularly in areas with water shortages and high levels of biodiversity;
- the adoption of the best technologies and the definition of proprietary technologies aimed at reducing environmental risks or promoting new activities as part of a green inclusive economy;
- the use of Remote Sensing for environmental monitoring including the use of Unmanned Aerial Vehicles;
- the introduction of Autonomous Underwater Vehicles in offshore monitoring along with proprietary technology;
- confirmation of our commitments and improvements in environmental performance in line with the expectations of our main stakeholders.