Safety and Asset Integrity

The Post-2015 Agenda is focused on the issue of decent work, which means, first and foremost, safe work. The majority of the global workforce works in precarious conditions without adequate safety measures or recourse to any system of social protection; mainly in informal workplaces. According to the ILO, 86% of work-related deaths were due to occupational diseases and the remaining 14% to accidents (2008 data)1. Taking into consideration this overall perspective, which joins together accidents and morbidity, it is estimated that the impact of poor security practices in the workplace and the related occupational diseases amounts to around 4% of global GDP (2012), with direct and indirect costs of around 2.8 trillion dollars related to accidents and illnesses2.

(1) ILO, Introductory Report: Global Trends and Challenges on Occupational Safety and Health, 2011.
(2) ILO, The Prevention of Occupational Diseases, 2013.

eni has over the years demonstrated an unprecedented commitment to safety, achieving significant results, also in relation to the industry average. eni’s chief concern is people’s health, safety and general wellbeing. Safety must be a deeply instilled culture whereby taking care of oneself and others comes before everything else.

Effective leadership means putting the wellbeing of people at the top of the list of priorities.

“Safety comes first, before financial results and before operational indicators. It is an area where the number zero is the only one we like.” Paolo Scaroni - eni’s CEO

The company’s main goal is to support managers at all levels in actively promoting a culture oriented towards the achievement of excellence with regard to safety. Without leadership in safety, there is no leadership. Each person in eni must be a leader with regard to safety. “eni in safety”, the main information and training programme on safety launched by eni in 2012, represents a new method of addressing safety. The programme is based on the knowledge that the majority of accidents at work are linked to behavioural factors and that it is necessary to create a culture in which safety is a key value.

The programme provides for various courses of action such as the development of a safety information campaign aimed at everyone in the company, a training project organized using the “cascade” approach, and the creation of a safety faculty with the best technicians able to combine professional and classroom management skills.

The three year training programme will progressively involve company management and operating site managers, for a total of about twenty thousand people in total.

The safety culture is accompanied by the application of the best standards and the development of working conditions that guarantee everyone’s safety.